Monthly Archives: October 2012

Oatmeal Stout

Size: 12 Gallons (I targeted twelve as about 2 gallons is lost in in trub during various stages I have found)
Target Gravity: 1.055


18.3 lbs Briess Pale Ale
2.7 lbs Briess Crystal 80
3.8 lbs Muntons Chocolate Malt
3 lbs Flaked Oats
1.5 lbs Carapils (Briess Dextrine)

Total = 29.3 lbs grain


3.4 oz 3.9% AA Mount Hood to beginning of 60minute boil


1 – Mash-in to 155 for 60 minutes.  Used 10 gallons water @ 173deg.
2 – Raise to 170 (15-30 minutes using direct fire RIMS)


1 – Sparge over the course of 30 minutes with 6 gallons 170 deg water.  This should yield about 13 gallons pre-boil.


Wyeast 1056

Triple 10 Oatmeal Stout during RIMS

First Mash with Rice

This didn’t go so well last week.  I modified our successful riced ‘Bud Clone’ which is essentially on a % GU (gravity unit basis):

65% Briess 6-row or Pilsen
30% Flaked Corn
5% Carapils

and I turned it into:

65% Briess 6-row or Pilsen
30% Flaked Rice
5% Carapils

I did an infusion mash to 155 for 1 hour rest.  This is where things went wrong.  Unlike the Corn version, RIMS was impossible with this.  It ended up being a lot of scraping the bottom of the mash-tun to get anything to drain.

After I got it sparged and boiled, when it was time to cool with our new ‘Therminator’, the 0.5mm pored trub filter gummed up.  I had to bypass it and go directly to the Therminator, which thankfully gave no problems.

It ended up with a gravity of 1.052 which was within reason and was soon fermenting fine – though I haven’t tasted it yet.

Next time I will either use rice hulls to get some porosity in the grain bed or reduce the amount of rice…or both.

It was a cluster regardless.